Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Calling a web service in a javascript causes page reload

Hey guys,

Here is what is happening. I have a user control in which I have an update panel with a button and some label. On click of that button, I call a javascript function which in turn calls a web service. The web service does get called and everything works nicely, but the whole page is being refreshed. The moment the javascript calls a web service, the refresh of the whole page occurs (when in turn nothing should happen besides the web service called).

Do I have something misconfigured that causes the script manager to do the whole page refresh on a web service call? I have the same structure in another control, and that one doesn't cause the page refresh.

If anyone has experienced this and have a solution for it, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Are you using Server Button Control(<asp:Button/>) of usual html button(<input type="button"> ?

I'm assuming you have something like:

<asp:Button ... OnClientClick="CallMyWebService()" />

or

<input type="button" ... onclick="CallMyWebService()" />

Try making it "CallMyWebService(); return false;"... the "return false" tells the browser not to continue handling the event (by submitting the form, for example). If that's not it, you might try showing us your code.

No comments:

Post a Comment